GUAGE PROBLEM

1999 Jeep Wrangler

1999 Jeep Wrangler 4 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic

When I am driving down the road and hit a bump, all of my instruments quit working. If I stop or tap hard on the brakes, they will usually start working. If they don't, I have to turn the car off and restart it.
Bhart42

Somewhere I would say you have a loose connection or a loose ground. More likely just a connection. With the key on I would begin with a wiggle test on the wires coming up from the fuse panel to the gauges. Watch the gauges and just begin to wiggle the harness's under the dash till you get the drop in power. You will just have to keep doing this till you get the loose connection isolated. On my 88 ( and I bellieve this style stayed this way till 95) the gauges are all on a circuit board that over time just gets weak and any flexing of it or bouncing it around would cause the same problem as your having. I believe they changed the dashes in 95. That is where I would start. Let me know how it comes out and if I can do more, good luck. Curt

Mechcurt
My 98 did the same thing. Turns out the gage cluster uses little spade connections. There are about 24 of them. I took my instrument cluster out and twisted the connectors a little. Put it all back, and I haven't had a problem since. Took about 30 min.

Cyall