LEAKING

1997 Jeep Wrangler

Drive Train Axles Bearings problem
1997 Jeep Wrangler 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 136000 miles

Hello, I have two leaks that seem to be the same.1 is at the at the transfer case seal (front). The 2 is at the seal at the rear end. I would like to change them myself, But would like some imput as to understanding the difficulty that maybe in hand. Could someone give me some advise on this project that I may attemp. Or what would a reasonable quote from a repair shop would be. Some answers PlEASE. Thanks, Roger
Roger58

If I understand you. The first leak on the transfer case is at the seal? I guess you mean where the driveshaft goes into it. This is a easy repair. Drop the driveshaft at the rear end. Pull the drive shaft out of the transfer case. Pull the seal with a seal puller, it just comes straight out the rear. Re-install with a seal driver, put some grease on the seal and you are done, also check the transfer fluid level and top off if needed. The rear pinion seal is where the driveshaft goes into the rear end. You removed the shaft earlier. There is a large nut inside the rear yoke that needs removed. That seal comes out the same basically as the earlier one. Just make sure to use a seal driver so they both go back in straight and with no damage. Lube this seal also. When you reinstall the yoke tighten to spec's. You should be able to make both these repairs yourself with no trouble. Let me know thanks Curt

Mechcurt