GRAND LARADO WITH WHI

2000 Jeep Cherokee

Noises problem
2000 Jeep Cherokee 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 80000 miles

My Jeep is making a a whining sound while driving and it gets louder the faster I go. It starts making the noise around 20 mph and you can't really hear it when you are driving at highway speeds of over 55mph. It's really loud around 25-40 mph. I noticed it first at the end of last winter and it didn't seem to make the noise in the spring and summer. It has started again this winter and it's worse now. Much louder and unlike before where it would come and go. It is now making the noise all the time.

Ball joints and tie rods have been checked. I thought possible wheel bearings but 2 mechanics didn't think the noise sounded like wheel bearings.

I've taken it to a Jeep dealer and was told it was EVERYTHING associated with the front end. Ball joints, tie rods etc. When I asked specifically what was making the noise they didn't know except to say " all of it" That cost me $55. =( I have since had it looked out by 2 other mechanics and they have told me the ball joints and tie rods are fine.

Please, I'm at a loss and need help. I have a well respected mechanic looking at it now but even he is not sure what the noise is.

Has anyone expericenced this problem before? Any ideas or suggestions as to what it might be?

The Jeep only has 80,000 miles on it and I have owned it for the last 8-9 years (second owner) It's only seen highway/city driving. I get regular oil changes with full service where they check everything. I've never had problems with it until now. Only thing that was replaced was a fuel sensor.

Help!
Ymk2010

The ball joints and steering components won't cause this type of sound. When you are driving, does the noise change when you make turns? Have you had the fluids in the differentials, transfer case. Checked to make sure they are good? My concern is that someone has replaced one of the fluids with something too heavy. As a result, in colder conditions, proper luberication isn't there because the oil is too heavy.

Let me know. As far as the people who wants to replace everything on the front end, they are trying to make a bunch of money and hoping they hit the right thing. I wouldn't go back.

Thank you for your quick response!

As to your question. The noise does not change with steering. I am having all the fluids checked/changed. Keeping my fingers crossed that this fixes it. As to going back to that dealer. That $55 is the last they'll get from me. I truly felt like I was being scammed =(

I'll keep you informed and thanks again I appreciate it!

Ymk2010
This is exactly what I started experiencing with my 2000 Cherokee yesterday. I have 90k on it, and have also owned oit for 8-9years. It's like a swithed is turned on at 25mph & the whine starts, then stops when slowing below. Didn't do it this morning until I drve 10-15 miles. Pitch seems to change with increased speed, but I didn't go over 50mph today. I knew it wasn't the usual bearing noise, so stopped by my respected repair shop, we went for a ride. Not affected by braking, turning, or engaging 4wd. Put front end on jack, turned wheel by hand, nothing. No play in bearing or front end. He does all my 3-5k maintanance and work. I've know him for 20 years, so I am going to keep listening for a few days, as he doesn't want to do any " just replace parts, and see what happens" repairs. Next step might be on the lift with the stethoscope?

Mickey36