2 PROBLEMS WITH MY '95

1995 Jeep Cherokee

I have 2 problems with my '95 jeep cherokee sport. Hopefully somebody here can help me out before I take it to a mechanic and pay loads for him to look at it.

i got the jeep used last year with about 180k miles on it. It seems to run good and only has a few problems.

1. When driving on roads, hitting ANY bump, makes a clunking noise in the back of the truck. Even bumbs too small to feel while driving the truck. I've also had the rear slide out on wet roads when going at low speeds (like less then 20mph) and over rough pavement seams between roads and parking lots. Also the truck will sometimes rock back and forth or side to side when going at a steady 30mph on roads that seem mostly flat. Used to have old off-road tires on the truck but have new tires on it now and it did nothing to solve anything. I'm thinking the struts need to be replaced but am not sure.

2. Thier is an odd smell that comes from the engine. It's really noticable when I pull into a parking space and stop and when I pull into my driveway and stop, but rarly when its driving on roads or stopped at traffic lights. When I first started smelling the odor was when the power steering hose got a leak and I had a mechanic replace it. The smell came back and I found out he only put a flimsey hose on that coulden't handle the pressure. Then I had a friend replace it with a good one retrieved from a junkyard and all was fine for a month. Now the smell has started up again. Its the exact same smell, but unlike the previous two times, thier is no smoke from power steering fluid spraying on the hot engine and thier appears to be no loss of power steering fluid, the level is the same as when filling it after the 2nd hose replacement. So I got no clue whats causeing the smell. Anybody else got any ideas? Could the power steering pump be going bad? Thiers no difficulties in steering at all.
Zaroba

1. IT could be your shocks or struts but I think there is much more to it. Ohno. What caught my eye is the over size tires. What do boys or fun(girls) do with a 4x4 with big tires. Thats right we go find mudd holes. &Amp; seeing your from PA probally climbing things too. I know for experince. LOL. We cant help it. Id go ahead and check the bushing on ur stabolizer arms and check sway bar. It really sounds like it could one of those. Thats what my 78 custom bronco did. Dang had to cut out fenders and rear wheel wells to get 35 swappers to fit.(Because im too cheap to buy a lift) thats always fun going through the mudd with no rear wells. MmmSmart.
Ooh by the way : lol: is your Jeep to good for the Crystler Forum. LOL id move it back myself but not in charge of this forum (only chevy and crystler) Might get more hits that way by those die hard Jeep, MOPAR guys. HEY that thing got a HEMI in it.
2.I think the smell is just burnt into ur noise : roll: Sorry no clue on this one. HEY good luck and have some fun on this site. There might be someone u can HELP.

Jpam
The current tires are stock. Old tires were only a few inches larger. Don't know if it even has a sway bar on it, afaik, the whole truck is stock.
I hope to get a lift kit and big tires though : P

as for being in the crystler forum, the description diden't have jeep vehicles, and I diden't remember if it was GM or chrystler that owned Jeep now.

Zaroba
Couldnt really say if it has a sway bar without crawling underone myself. But thinking it should? But not as sure about it having stabolizer arms.&Gt?
Sorry about that I didnt notice that they didnt list jeep under Chrysler forum intel later on. ?
Well good luck and have fun.

Jpam
Also, after rereading your first post, let me add: I have yet to go off-roading with it : P

the off-road tires (BF Goodrich All-Terrerain T/A tires) came with it. I have little clue as to what mods (if any) were put on it by the previus owner. The steel bumper is dinged up from what looks like bumping rocks while going off-road so I assume the previous owner did that.

I am however saving up my money to buy a lift kit and new larger off-road tires for it for a trip to the beach this spring. And mid or late summer i'd like to goto Paragon.

Zaroba
There u go. Those JEEPS are fun to play with. Wish I had a CJ to play with. Good luck with ur prob. Have fun with the lift and tires. 8)

Jpam
Figured out what the thunking was.

While on brake with a coworker I was talking to him about the truck (its gotten worse and now feels like the body is moving side to side when going around turns). We went over and looked at it and while he was rocking the truck I was looking under it and the barings between the bottems of the stabilizer bars and the screws that mount them to the axle are completly shot. Both bars could move back and forth by about a half an inch.

While driving home I had the driver side mirror pointing down at the rear wheel and I could tell the axles was moving back and forth when going over bumps and going around sharp turns.

Zaroba
Thanxs for the update. : ) How did you make out with the odor?

Peppermrj
So I was on the right track. The bushings on the bars. So did u look under truck and move stuff around when I was repliing back to ur posts? U should have caught this if u did read 2-24-06 posting.
Bushing on stabalizer rams ! Well glad u got it fixed. Tthhnnkkss.

Jpam
Lol, yea. Shame on me, I should have read it more carefully.
I was only thinking of the sway bar part : P

no clue about the oder yet though. Some smoke came out of the engine today when I pulled into the driveway and stopped though. Backed it out again and was looking all around under the truck and under the hood with it running but coulden't find anything leaking anywhere, even when turning the wheel all the way in both directions and straining it a bit to put more pressure on the power steering. Still think its the powersteering though since the smell only seems to happen when slowing down to a stop while steering. Or in the case of my driveway, turning into a steep hill while slowing down.

Zaroba
This stuff is no longer a problem

R.I.P. My first truck. I shall miss it.

Some F-Head pulled out in front of me while going to work yesterday morning. I had to slam on my brakes to avoid hitting him in the back but with the wet roads I coulden't avoid hitting a utility pole and breaking it in half. Luckily I was uninjured. The other driver diden't stop at all.

The repair shop says the truck will cost more to repair then its worth (we got it for $2500) and that we'd be better off just getting a new vehicle. We diden't have collision insurance on it since its an old vehicle and neither I nor the witness of the accident got the liscense plate number of the other vehicle.

Zaroba
Page 1 of 2