OVERHEATING/THERMOSTAT OR WATER PUM

1995 Jeep Cherokee

Engine Cooling problem
1995 Jeep Cherokee 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 134000 miles

Hi-
I wrote to you earlier regarding my brakes and you nailed it. Thanks!

I have been having to run my defrost continually as my temp gauge indicates that I am close to overheating (needle shows it's a little to the right of the middle, but when I drive without the defrost on, it heads right for the red zone.)

I have replaced two thermostats so far and a friend pointed out it could be my water pump. Thoughts?

I am thinking of trying to replace the thermostat again, driving back to the high country from Denver it overheated twice.
And I'm sick of sweating-it's like an Eazy Bake Oven in there.

Thanks,

JC
Goldy888

Take out the thermostat and road test it and see what happens to the temp. Gauge.

When it gets up to normal operating temp. Feel the radiator front it should be evenly hot across-no cold spot. If so its clogging.

Check water pump: One way to test for a bad water pump is to squeeze the upper radiator hose when the engine is hot and idling. Careful, because the hose will be HOT! If you do not feel much coolant circulating through the hose when you rev the engine, the pump may be bad. The other cause might be a bad thermostat that is not opening properly (remove and inspect the thermostat), or a clogged radiator.