WON'T START

1998 Jaguar XJ8

I have an intermittent problem with my 1998 XJ8. The car has 47000 miles on it and has developed a strange prob. When trying to start the car. It appears the battery is dead, but the lights and all accessories work. If I let the car sit for a couple hours it will start. If I try to restart it again it acts as though the battery is dead. Just a click when I turn the key. The battery is about 3 yrs old. I am wondering if a defective battery could be causing this . Or some problem with the security system.
Rsj6667

Hello, it sounds like you have a relay issue for the starter. I have not seen to many starters go bad in this model car, but not saying it couldnt happen. Seen a couple go bad. I have seen more relays thant starters, the relays are on the pass side of car under the plastic cover in the cool box. 4 screws are holding cool box cover down. But you will have to figure out which relay is the starter relay. Hold your hand on the relays and have someone turn the key the relay will click and unclick when key is released.
If the relay clicks and unclicks then it is probaly the starter. Hope this helps

Fstranger302