ENGINE COOLANT LOW

1998 Jaguar XJ8

Engine problem
1998 Jaguar XJ8 V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 127000 miles

I recently bought a Jaguar XJ8 and I noticed that water was coming into the foot well dripping onto my foot whilst driving this obviously caused me some concern! However the problem seems to have stopped, I am now getting an engine coolant low message on my dashboard, I obtained some engine coolant from my jag dealer and used the whole bottle to top up the resevoir which looked pretty empty! I did not add any water to the mixture just the engine coolant bottle should I have done this?

Is the leak into the footwell and engine coolant low message related? When are I start the engine I do not seem to get smoke from the radiator or exhaust.

Sorry if these seem like dumb questions but it is my first V8 engine!

Regards and many thanks in advance for your help.

Jezza
Jezza

Hi there,

First you should have the cooling system pressure tested to locate the coolant leak, if there is a problem in the heater system you should smell coolant in the cabin, Have the pressure test done to resolve the coolant loss first, and as regards to the Jag coolant if it is a concentrated mixture, your system may be well over the acceptable Ph balance recommended, have it checked and adjusted as required as it may be detrimental to your system.

Mhpautos