LOUD VIBRATING NOISE

1996 Infiniti G20

Noises problem
1996 Infiniti G20 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 189xxx miles

We just purchased a 1996 Infiniti G20 from a private owner a few weeks ago. We had to fix a tires, wipers, and a light to pass inspection. We took it for an oil change as it was bone dry, but it ran good right after that. Well, we decided to go on a trip to Boston MA from Holyoke, MA (about 150 miles) and when we got to the end of the road, the car was so loud we couldn't hear ourselves talk. I don't know what happened? I was told that it could possibly be the muffler came loose and needs to be tightened, but we're low on cash to take it to a mechanic. Any ideas?
Jadekitten27

Hi jadekitten27,

Thank you for the donation.

If the noise is excessively loud and exhaust related, either some exhaust part has failed, either corroded through or seals/gaskets have leaks.

Use a piece of rag or such to block the rear of the exhaust outlet with the engine running and check if there is any difference in the noise and from which source.