HESITATING WHEN STARTING UP

2000 Hyundai Accent

2000 Hyundai Accent 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 138000 miles

When I start the car in the am, it sputters a bit, like its going to stall, then the check engine light goes on. I start driving, and it hesitates and starts to buck a little. After about 5 minutes of driving it seems fine. The engine light stops flashing, but it stays on. Any Ideas?
Player1242

First thing you need to do is have the codes read, Autozone does it free, Post the results with the code number(s). Even if the service engine light is not on, there should be freeze frame data stored.

Merlin2021
Im in Canada, and I don't think we have Autozone's here. I don't know any place that will do a diagnostics test for free here. They charge like 80 bucks.

Player1242
You might want to consider buying a scanner, there are now fairly cheap ones that read only.40.00 or so.

Merlin2021
I don't know enough about it, I am going to take it in anyway. Is there any reason why it would give me this problem only in the morning and not at all for the rest of the day?

Player1242
Yes, I would prefer a confirming code. But an edjucated guess tells me it's the engine coolant temp sensor, or the air temp sensor, usuallt the two must be within as little as 5 degrees of each other, before the first start up if one is malfuntioning, it will cause this.

Merlin2021