'95 LX 1.5 4-DR - BLOWN HEAD GASKET?

1995 Honda Civic

when I parked the car today, after driving for about 20 minutes at mostly low speeds, I have noticed hissing noise under the hood. When opened it, coolant water was all over the right (passenger) side of the front engine and radiator. When checked the reservoir for excess water, it was almost full. Radiator was dry (I didn't see the water) and on top of the inside membranes I had a piece of some black soft-rubbery remains (looked like a part of a gasket). So I filled up the radiator with coolant and started the engine for water to settle down a little. Re-filled it and closed it.

The gauge never indicated overheating prior to this or afterwards.

A while later, after driving a distance of about 15 miles, I checked the water. It was a little lower than when I refilled it, but nothing serious indicating a leek or house damage.

But this time, when starting the engine while the plug on radiator was off, it spilled the coolant all over. When closed, it spills coolant via the reservoir's cover or through the house connecting the radiator to reservoir.

To me it looks like a blown head gasket. But I'm not an expert.

After all this, I had a problem to start the car. It finally started after like five tries.

The fan runs fine.

Please help me to find the reason. Should I let a friend who doesn't have a shop to fix this? Many thanks for your help. Anyway, I want to sell this car - is the repair worth it? : (
Mutley

Sorry to say it is a head gasket more than likely. The reason it was hard to star is because water is getting to your piston and making it hard for yoour spark plug to fire. Repair cost ranges from 550 to 700 dollars. It is a real pain. Mine 95 civic 1.6 is torn apapt right now for the same reason and it never ran hot. It is good idea to replace the timing belt, water pump, and have the head pressure tested to make sure its not cracked while the car is apart if your mechanic says this is not a good idea take it somewhere else. Let me know if I can help. If your are not a very experienced mechanic I would atempt this job myself take it to someone whom works on hondas alot

Jamee taylor