CHECK ENGINE LIGHT

Honda Civic

2001 Honda Civic EX, mileage 120,000. Car is working fine otherwise. Not overheating. My check engine light has come on two separate times now. One several months ago and then also just recently. My husband took our car to our local dealership (not the dealership where we bought the car) and they charged him $60-80 for the first diagnostic test. When that one didn't find anything, they informed him that they would have to keep doing diagnositcs and that each test would cost the same amount of money. When my husband inquired as to how many tests they thought they would have to do, they couldn't tell him. But said possibly over 5. Frustrated, and unwililng to spend that much $$ trying to figure out what the problem was and then have to pay to get it fixed, he decided to leave, but not before they offered him a complimentary car-wash for his troubles. Any ideas on whether this is standard procedure or were we being duped, and what the possible problem could be? Other than this experience we have loved owning a Honda.
Bcmcglothlin

Might I suggest that you take it to your local AutoZone (or similar) because they have the diagnostic machine that they can attach to your car to see what's causing the check engine light to come on. Once they get the code, they can check their system to see what the code means. It's FREE!

Hndaryder
If the fuel cap is not tight or gasket is damaged you can get engine check light.

Pchominski
I just recently received an " Emissions Warranty Extension Reminder" from Honda regarding the check engine light malfunction. This extension applies to 95', 96', and 97' Hondas, but maybe your car has the same problem.

I'm quite frustrated with this whole check engine light. I've spent over $150 on this problem, only to find that i'm not covered under their extended waranty (warranty extended to 14 yrs after the date vehicle was first sold/or 150,000 miles whichever comes first).

Check into it asap. Don't wait for some recall or extended warranty - they're likely to inform you well after you're elligible for coverage.

Lillybug

Lillybug
The check engine light is not that big of a deal. I might suggest the Autozone but to those who don't like the hassle, purchase one on the internet. They cost as low as $25 and work very well. They will read the code or codes and then clear the light for you. They come with a book on the codes, you can search for help on-line for the codes and on our website here in the blue section is a " Diagnostic Trouble Codes" page that will tell you what the code is. Compared to what Honda was asking this is cheap.

Now that said, let me add that some codes are intermittent and will clear themselves. Eventually they will get bad enough to trip the light and stay on. Don't keep going to Honda. You have to pick and choose what you want them to repair for you.

If fact, come back to this site and ask for a recommendation whether a needed repair is a Honda problem or if another mechanic could handle it. We will try to give you a hand with that.

Bruce Hunt