EX ELECTRICAL PROBLEM?

2004 Honda Civic

I just bought a used 2004 Honda Civic EX and there are a couple problems.

One, I had a diagnostic test run on the car this morning and my mechanic said the battery and system are running below normal voltage. He believes this is an alternator problem. After thinking about it, I realized that my radio periodically fails. I'll be listening to the radio and all of the sudden it cuts out and all I hear is static. I wondered if these problems might be related.

Also, the airbag light on my dash is constantly on. Is this related to the electrical/power problem or is it possibly something else?

Any info would really help me.
Bowerll

All of those could be related to the failing of the alternator. This doen't really sound like it is random in nature but occurring constantly. That is, the voltage is lower than needed. Other items take more juice than others and the need by that device will draw from the limited resources and thus it interfers. I think you should resolve the one issue and then address what is not working properly after that problem has been FULLY remedied.

Bruce Hunt
I bought the car from a fleet dealer and it's within the 30 days under MN lemon law. Should I try to collect on the repair from the dealer or go directly to a Honda dealership and take advantage of the 3 year/36000 mile warranty?

Bowerll
That depends on what you think but if I were to deal with the fleet dealer they may ask you to take it to a certain repair shop. I don't know, but I would probably like to get a Honda new not rebuilt alternator back in the car AND installed properly. I guess I favor the Honda shop in this case but I would find out if they will cover the costs first.

Bruce Hunt