AC PROBLEMS

1994 Honda Civic

Air Conditioning problem
1994 Honda Civic 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 220000 miles

OK I WROTE EARLIER ABOUT MY PROBLEM AND HERE IS MY PREVIOUS POST.
OK I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO TROUBLSHOOT MY AC AND CAN NOT FIGURE OUT WHY IT DOESNT WORK. OK THIS IS WHAT ALL IS GOING WRONG. AC LIGHT TURNS ON AND EVERYTHING BUT JUST HOT AIR. I LIFT THE HOOD AND THE AC CLUTCH NEVER ENGAGES. I JUST PUT A BRAND NEW COMPRESSOR ON. AND STILL NOTHING. I VACUUMED THE SYSTEM OUT AND ADDED FREON. WHEN THE FREON I GUESS GETS TO A SUFFICIENT AMOUNT THE CAR STARTS IDLE HIGH AND LOW. BUT WHEN YOU TURN THE AC OFF THE CAR IDLES FINE. WELL MY GIRLS DAD TOOK A LOOK AT IT AND THE TWO AC RELAYS THAT ARE CONNECTED TO THE CONDENSER FAN HE TOOK APART AND THEY WERE FRIED KINDA AND ONE LOOKED LIKE IT HAD OIL ON THE INSIDE. SO IM REPLACING THOSE TOMMOROW. WHAT ELSE SHOULD I DO. O THE CONDENSOR FAN NEVER TURNS ON AND ANOTHER GOOD PEICE OF INFORMATION THE CAR SAT FOR LIKE TWO YEARS. O AND THE SWITCH THAT CONTROLS HOW HOT OR COLD TH AC BLOWS IN THE CAR IS BROKEN. IT ONLY STAYS ON THE COLD SIDE. HELP

OK I REPLACED THOSE RELAYS THAT WERE CONNECTED TO THE CONDENSOR FAN AND NOW IT TURNS ON. BUT THE COMPRESSOR CLUTCH DIDNT ENGAGE SO I HOOKED UP MY GAUGES AND THE FREON WAS LOW SO I ADDED FREON AND FINALLY THE COMPRESSOR KICKED IN AND THE AC STARTED WORKING. NOW THE AC BLOWS KINDA COLD BUT NOT REALLY COLD AT ALL. NOW THE FREON ISNT ALL THAT FULL I NEED TO GET SOME MORE BUT OULD THAT BE WHY ITS NOT BLOWING ALL THAT COLD. OR WOULD IT JUST BE THE BROKEN TEMP CONTROL SWITCH IN THE DASH. O AND ANOTHER QUESTION. WHY DOES MY CAR IDLE ROUGH AND SOMETIMES WANT TO DIE BUT RECOVERS. IT IDLES EVEN ROUGHER WHEN THE AC IS ON.
EGILBERT21

Hi EGILBERT21,

When you have any unfinished business, you should use the post reply thread so that whoever was answering your question can follow up when notification is received.

When freon is insufficient, it definitely won't be blowing cold enough. Check if compressor is engaged full time, if not the temp adjust might be at minimum so would not be that cold.

Get the freon pressure up first before going further. We take one step at a time.

When the engine has poor idling, you need to check the idling circuit.

Give the throttle body, EACV, idle adjust screw and fast ilde a good cleanup with carb cleaner and it should solve the problem. Remember to adjust the idling speed without the AC at engine operating temp.

Hope there is no check engine light showing.