CYLINDER 1 NOT FIRING

1991 Honda Civic

Engine problem
1991 Honda Civic 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 119000 miles

The first cylinder in my car is not firing. The spark plug is getting spark and the three other cylinders are working fine and it even runs and drives (not well, but it does). What else could be wrong and what would be the cost of parts + labor to fix it?
Acrylic

Hi there,

First thing to do is check engine compression on this cylinder, if that is ok, check for injector pulse signal at injector, if you have compression, spark and pulse signal the injector is faulty. When you know which item is faulty, we will have a better idea as to costs involved.

Mhpautos
I have the 1.5L I4, DPFI.
As I understand it(or so I was told), I have a single injector(?), So the fact that the other 3 cylinders are fine means the injector must be working fine. If this is wrong, I apologize.

Acrylic
Hi there,

Sorry, I did not realize that it was the throttle body injection engine. So then, do the compression test and replace the spark plug & lead, if comp is ok. Report if you still have a concern.

Mhpautos
Ok, I brought it to a mechanic.
He says three cylinders have low compression. The one not firing reads at 60, 2nd at 95 and the 3rd at 120 and tells me the engine is junk and needs to be replaced.
He quoted me at 600 for the engine and 500 for the labor. I, however can pick up an engine for $250, is his assessment correct and is $500 for to put the engine in fair. It's the exact same engine using the transmission and ECU of the old engine as my car is an auto and the other engine is out of a manual.

Acrylic