POWER STEERING PROBLEM

2005 Honda Accord

Steering problem
2005 Honda Accord 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 94000 miles

Now that it has turned colder, < 50 degrees or so, my car makes an awful noise when I turn it on in the morning. I believe it is linked to the power steering somehow. It makes the noise regardless of whether I am turning the wheel or not, but when I turn the wheel, it makes an even louder noise. After I let the car warm up for about 10-15 minutes and the engine gets up to operating temperature, the sound goes away, and as long as the temperature stays over 50 degrees it does not come back. Since I live 20-30 miuntes from the dealer, there was no way for me to re-produce the sounds for them, because the sound was always gone by the time I could get there. So I took my high tech camera and video'd the problem in high definition and took it to them, but they refused to help. They said the only thing they could do is for me to leave it overnight and they would look at it in the morning. Well that is nearly impossible for me to do given I have to take kids to school etc. The shop foreman who looked at it, said best guess was that it was the power steering pump, and it would need to be replaced. Total price is nearly 700 dollars. I am not at all car inclined, but am very mechanically inclined, so if I can figure out what is wrong, I will attempt to do the repair myself.

I saw a previous post on here mentioning something about just replacing the O-ring. I'm not sure that this is the same issue. The fluids are fine, just had oil changed 2 days ago and was told all fluid levels are topped off.
Killerdc

I also have an Accord V6 EX, 2005, with 84K miles on it. I am just now experiencing this problem. When it is very cold in the morning, I am getting a loud whine coming from the power steering pump. After 5 minutes or so it goes away as the temperatures come up.

I do not see any leaking fluid, kinked hoses etc. Fluid level is normal. I have a 6yr/100,000mi warranty which will hopefully cover this if it is a major repair.

Stealth916
I just found this service bulletin which could be related:

http://www.2carpros.com/articles/mitchell1eautorepair-car-repair-manuals

If your car is not covered by warranty, ask for a 'good will' free repair consideration from the district service manager.

Stealth916
I did observe foaming in the power steering fluid reservoir when the system was cold and making the 'whine' noise.

So I purchased the new O-Ring from the dealer (total cost 68 cents).

I installed the part in less than 10 minutes. The only tool required was a standard 10mm boxed end wrench with a standard offset. You only have to remove one bolt. Very little fluid came out of the inlet hose when it was removed, but be sure to have a rag underneath the inlet.

Remove the old O-ring, which will probably be in the pump housing, lube the new O-ring with power steering fluid and install the new O-ring over the inlet hose assembly, and reinstalll the inlet hose. Install the bolt and tighten but do not overtighten. Use a torque wrench set to 8 ft lbs if you have it. Start the car and observe for any leaks.

I should know tomorrow morning if my problem has been fixed, as we are expecting temperatures in the mid 20's overnight.

Stealth916
I am interested in finding out if this worked! I am planning on going by the dealer today to pick up that part, and will replace it tonight, if they wont do a courtesy repair.

Killerdc
Yes, it seems the O-Ring did fix my problem. It was very cold again this morning, but the power steering pump never complained and the fluid did not foam. I never heard even a hint of the whine/moan sound. I could tell as soon as I started the car that the problem was resolved.

Best of luck!

Stealth916
Thanks for the info.

Im gonna call up the dealer and see if they will do a quick courtest repair, and if not, I will just run up there and buy the part and do it myself.

Killerdc
91Cents. That was the cost after tax of a new O-ring. Took me more time to find the proper wrench then it did to replace the part, and saved me 698.00, which is what I was told it would cost to fix the problem. That was the cost of a new power steering pump, and etc.

Thanks for the info. With xmas right around the corner, saving 700 bucks is huge. My kiddo's wont have to cut back quite so much. : )

Thanks again, and I will use this service whenever I have any issues.

Killerdc
I had the same problem with my 2005 accord with 95000 miles. The dealer fixed it with a one dollar o ring. No charge for labor.

2012chuck
I wanted to follow up since it has been a year that I did this repair. The repair is still working fine and I have had no further problems with the power steering pump on my Accord.

2 weeks ago, my 2006 Honda Odyssey also started giving me similar trouble, although it did it only when the car was WARMED UP (?). I visually verified foaming in the fluid reservoir, then went to the dealer and picked up another $1 O-ring. It was harder to access the bolt on the Odyssey, but I was able to just barely manage it using the same small 10mm box end wrench. It seems that the new O-ring also solved the problem in my Odyssey.

Stealth916