AIR CONDITIONER BLOWS WARM/HOT AIR

1998 Honda Accord

Air Conditioning problem
1998 Honda Accord 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 286000 miles

Hi,

The problem started a couple of weeks ago. I'd turn on the air conditioner, and it would cool just fine for a while. Then it blow warm (outside warm, I think) air for a while, then it would blow cool for a while. The last couple of days, it has just given up and is blowing warm.

I had a similar event a year or so ago. I think the mechanic said, it's not the AC but a short in something called the PCM or ECU. I took a trip to the junk yard and replaced it.

When I mentioned this to a Honda mechani recently, he said the PCM is totally seperate from the AC, so it doesn't make sense. All I know is that my nearly new car (286,000 miles) is blowing warm air. Any ideas. It is okay to be basic as I am still trying to identify the condensor so that I can see if it is coming on.
Ndmand

When was the last time you had someone check the pressure of the ac system you have a leak and need to find it so it wont happen again

Master tech dan
Thanks,

I haven't checked the freon since we started there last year only to find the real problem. However, I suppose one could easily lose thier freon over the course of a year.

Another website suggested that the ACC relay (I guess that's the air conditioner compressor clutch relay) or condenser fan relay could have gone bad. Do you think that could cause my problem?

The relay solution doesn't quite make sense to me since it would seem that an electrical part like that would probably fail all at once.

Ndmand

Ndmand
Hi: I had the same problem. The Honda mechanic fixed my problem by replacing the a/c clutch coil.

HT
Thanks, I have been thinking of trying replacing the AC clutch relay. How much did that clutch coil cost ya?

I have also noticed that when I cut off the AC, a kind of groaning sound comes from my dash area. Did you experience that too?

Ndmand

Ndmand
I would like to correct what the Honda mechanic about the ECU being separate from the AC. In fact the AC is also linked to the ECU, during full throttle acceleration, the ECU cuts off the AC clutch momentarily to enable full power from the engine and this circuit can also give problems.

Thanks Klow,

So I am not crazy. After I read a bit more, I thought that the Honda mechanic may have been off just a bit.

I have a lot of confidence in the Honda shops, one in particular. Still, I am thinking about taking my old car to someone who just does car airconditioning. Around here, the Honda attitude seems to be " replace everything.&Quot; That's not so good for saving money on an older vehicle.

Ndmand

Ndmand
Hi Nmand,

You are right about the replace everything attitude. That is the reason why repair standards are dropping around the world. The easy way out is to replace anything that might be the cause, at the expense of the customer.

But you can't really blame them because they are being practical. Who is willing to waste time trying to figure out what is wrong with a unit and trying to salvage it?