HONDA ACCORD DOOR PROBLEM

1998 Honda Accord

I have a 1998 Honda Accord ex v6 coupe. The drivers door will not open from the outside or the inside. The electric locking mechanism seems to be working properly. I know that I could diagnos and fix the problem myself by simply removing the inner door panel. However, it is necessary to have the door opened to remove that panel. How can I open the door so I can get the panel off? (I've already tried going thru the window slot with no success. There is alot of rods and linkage down there and it is very hard to see. Any sugegestions? : Oops:
Zrob1

Hi there,

Under normal circumstances the door would be open to remove the trim, as you can't do this you have a bit of a problem, I would look at trying to remove the seat so you can maneuver the trim if you can access all the attach points with the door closed. Have a look at the other side, can you get to all the attach screws with it closed. You do run the risk of damaging the trim so go gently.

Mhpautos
Unfourtunately the attach points are all concealed within the door jam itself and will not come out without opening the door. Not to mention that a large portion of the door panel is behind the dash (when the door is closed the entire front part of the panel is right up agaist the dash). HELP!

Zrob1
Hi there,

I had a talk to the body shop next door, and they said try to remove the belt mould, That's the trim seal on the out side against the window, it should be held in with clips and when removed you will have better access into the door, otherwise it may be a matter of destroying the trim to get at it, but get a price on another trim first so you can see if it's worth getting physical with it.

Mhpautos
Thank you for taking the time to do some reasearch and replying to my messages.I greatly appreciate it. As far as my problem goes, I thought about taking that trim out but I dont think it would help.I did contact the dealer where I bought the car and they say it is probably the latch itself. And if I took it to them they would remove the drivers seat and force the door panel off from the inside most certainly breaking most of the clips and possibly damaging the panel itself. They would then have to drill into the latch assembly (which is an enclosed unit
with components encased in a hard white plastic block shaped unit). To open the door. They would then replace the latch unit and reattach the panel and trim. And all for only $450. Yes $450.I am so pissed off.I am going to spend this entire weekend ripping my car apart and the part itself is going to cost me $104 +tax. Not to mention the fact that my car needs its 3rd transmission.I got 62k out of the original and then had that replaced at a cost of $5500 only to have it fail at 128k (58k on the trans). Now they want another $4900 to replace this one as Honda " doesnt repair their transmissions". They only replace them. HHHHMMMMMMMMMMMMMM. HOnda?STAY AWAY!

P.S I dont think that it is because I am hard on cars. My last was a 1992 mitsubishi eclipse 4cyl 5sp.I had 186,000 miles on it when I gave it to my brother. In the 9 years I had it the only things I had to replace (other than brake pads and wiper blads. Etc) was 1 cv joint and the cat converter. Total cost of repairs.$350. The clutch was still the original and was as tight as it was the day I bought that car.

Zrob1