POWER WINDOWS AND LOCKS

2006 GMC Sierra

2006 GMC Sierra V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 84,000 miles

I have power windows and locks on my Sierra. Sometimes when the ignition is on, the windows do not roll up or down. The small lights on the door panel go out indicating there is no power to the switches. However, when the ignition is in the acc. Position, the windows and locks work fine. I'm thinking there is a problem in the steering column, maybe a bad connection or something. I took the door panel off to check the wiring harnesses, and they seemed to be ok. What do you think?
Paul Steelreath

Hi Paul Steelreath,

Thank you for the donation.

I woulod lean more towards a faulty ignition switch. Apart from the power windows and door locks, are there any other components that do not work at the same time?

When the truck is running, power to all of the door panel controls goes out. This includes the mirrors, locks, and windows. I have noticed when driving at night, when the door panel controls are lit up, these lights tend to go on and off constantly. When the lights are on, everything works fine, but when they flicker off, nothing works. I was thinking it was in the ignition switch too because in the acc. Position, everything works fine. However, I haven't tried to locate the problem because I don't have a wiring schematic of the ignition.

Paul Steelreath
Which model do you have and what is the VIN code?
1500, 1500 HD, 2500 HD or 3500?

I have a 2006 1500 2wd ext cab SLE2. VIN # is 1GTEC19T26Z139163.

Paul Steelreath
I have emailed you the ignition power distribution schematics.

Let me know if it is helpful.