IGNITION SWITCH

1996 Ford Thunderbird

1996 Ford Thunderbird V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 175000 miles

ignition switch not working. Car will not shut off. REplaced switch, problem still there. I can kill motor but all electric stays on when key is in off position and key removed. I can pull ignition switch while motor is rinning, Stays running. NO way to shut everything down without disconnecting battery. What else is there to be replaced? Steering column? Help. Thanks, ED
Fix car

My friend has a 95 that had this same problem. His was the plastic linkage inside the steering column that connects from the " key" ignition switch, to the lower ignition switch. It is really just a little bar that slides back and forth inside the column.

It also could be the " lower" ignition switch, (I am not sure of the name, but if my memory is right it is about $50 at O'reillys.)

If it is the actual linkage itself - which is pretty noticable, the key is completely limp, no resistance and no clicking noises. We had to take it to the shop to have it fixed because we did not have the tools to take the steering wheel off. I am not even sure where to order the actual linkage. I think it ended up costing around $200 for the mechanic, the part itself wasn't more than $20 though.

Good luck, you can always take that lower ignition switch out from the under the kick panel, at the bottom of the steering column, to start and stop the car. It has a plastic peg that you can slide up and down through all the functions (off, acc, run, start). You will still need the key so the steering wheel won't lock.

Ryan

RyanBlizz