MY CAR WILL NOT TURN OFF

1996 Ford Thunderbird

1996 Ford Thunderbird 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 178000 miles

hello everyone! I have a 96 thunderbird and I cannot turn my car off. Well it seems the ignition switch is stuck on the" on" position and I can take my key out. Car starts fine and runs well. Ummm between the ACC position and the actual " start" position there is no resistance I can actually drive and " play" with the key in the switch. Sooo please help me!
Alex1985

Replace the ignition switch

Changed out ignition switch and still does the same thing. : -(

Alex1985
I cannot turn my car off. Well it seems the ignition switch is stuck on the" on" position and I can take my key out. The way you described the problem with the key gave me the curve ball-

Do you mean when you turn key to off the engine continues to run-if so the idle speed needs adjustment or the throttle plate is bindng not completely shutting off the airflow thru the throttle body.

Ok. First thing is I can turn my car on. Second thing is when the car is on I can turn the key to off position and take the key out and the engine will still run. The only way I can turn my car off is by pulling a fuse under the hood. Also when the car is on and the key is in the ignition swicth there is " play" with the ignition switch.

Alex1985
There's still a problem with the ignition switch-could be the input power to the switch is shorted to the ignition circuit have you thought of this. The only way the ignition will work -it has to go thru the Ign switch and also control other components to complete the fuel and ignition circuit

Hi Alex1985,
Don't know if you fixed your problem. My 96 T-bird started doing the same thing 3 days ago. My husband, after checking the ignition and the switch came to the conclusion it was in the linkage between the two. Sure enough it appeared there was a pin missing that connected it together. He made his own and now my car shuts off when we turn the key off. Hope this helps you out.

Garnetrose1927