POOR ACCELERATION AND IDLING

Ford Tempo

1994 Ford Tempo with 183,000 miles
I have replaced plugs, wires, rotor, coil, distributor cap and all bad vacuum hoses. I did a fuel pressure check and everything came back fine. Cat. Convert is ok. I did notice that after the car has been running for a while (30 minutes) the temperature gauge is still showing a cold reading. It will go from warm to a cold reading. The check engine light would come on. I did a code test with it coming back as no problem found. I'm hoping that there is still life in the engine. When it is acting up there is a lot of pinging noise. HELP! Could it be a bad head gasket or cylinder? It was in the shop and they had no idea what the problem was. Thanks

Tony
Tony sommer

Do you have good heater output? Change the thermostat and see if that affects the temperature gauge reading. If not test or replace the coolant temp sender.

Has the O2 been replaced? Most manufacturers recommend every 100,000 miles.

A compression test would spot a bad cylinder, head, or gasket. Most shops will find that problem with this test.

Good luck and let us know. : )

Peppermrj