TRANSMISSION FLUID LEAK

1999 Ford Taurus

1999 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 153000 miles

I run book routes in my 99 taurus, approx. 500 pounds of books, constant stop and go traffic all day, after several hours trans fluid seems to leak from side or bottom of trans. I was told the car was not designed for this type of operation and the trans fluid is overheating, I was told a solution was addng an extra trans cooler. Does this seem like sound advice to you? When I use the car for normal everyday use there are no fluid leaking problems! Thanks for your help!
Krumbhaar

Hi: Yes that sounds very logical. The fluid is most likely getting very foamy from the stop, go, stop. As a result, if comes out the over flow. Keeping it cooler may help.

Thanks! As a matter of fact what I see on the ground under the car is foamy transmission fluid!

Krumbhaar
That is the problem then. At least, that is my best guess from hundreds of miles away. My wife got out cirrus stuck in the snow. From spinning and going back and forth for about 10 minutes, it started doing the same thing. Once I cleaned it up and checked it, drove it. There were no more leaks.

Let me know if you have other questions.