DRIVETRAIN CLUNKS ON START-OUT

Ford Ranger

'98 Ranger XLT supercab 4X4, 4.0 with 4spd auto tranny, 99K miles. Almost since new there's been a clunking noise from the tranny or driveline when starting out from a stop. Have had it to shops a number of times and replaced any suspiciously worn rear end parts and axles and serviced the slip-yoke. There is also an occasional pinging noise that I thought sounded like a worn U-joint but all seem tight and functioning. The clunking is now getting more noticeable and can be felt through the chasis. So, back to the shop today -- still no answers. Checked all motor and trany mounts; they're fine. Trans tech said the posi-trac plates (clutch?) Are worn and can be turned by hand, but didn't think that would cause the noise. Ford tech said it would be the dry slip-yoke but regreasing with the special grease makes no difference. I'm afraid it's going to let me down on the highway and would like to come up with the solution; any suggestions? THANKS!
Karlseve

I have the same truck with the same problem, I bought the truck with 20,000 miles on it, now has 124K on it.
The problem still exists
The dealer replaced the driveshaft 2 times, yolk, ujoints, etc.
Finally at around 60K miles the dealer told me it was the transfer case and that it was out of warranty. I think Ford should come up with an explanation!
Quite an annoyance for an otherwise nice truck.

Redhead29