WONT GO IN REVERSE

1999 Ford Ranger

1999 Ford Ranger 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 125000 miles

My 1999 Ford Ranger will not go in reverse. It seems to be running fine in drive. I have never had a problem with the transmission before this happened two days ago. I checked the transmission fluid level cold and after running at normal operating temperature. Fluid levels were within normal levels according to the operator's manual. The fluid is not dirty and is still red. I had the transmission fluid changed about three years ago at about 90000 miles. It was pretty dirty before it was changed. Please let me know if you can help me. Thanks.
Tom Walsh

Hi Tom Walsh,

Thank you for the donation.

Get a scan done to check for trouble codes and let me know the exact code if any found.

I took the truck to an auto parts store that does free diagnostic tests, but since there was no " check engine" light or any other warning lights displayed, they could not do a test. The guy at the store said since there were no warning lights, the problem might be something like a cable connection. Any ideas? I'm getting tired of looking for hills so I can use gravity to go backwards. Thanks.

Tom Walsh
Even when the CEL is not indicating, trouble codes could still be recorded in the PCM.

What is your engine capacity and transmission model code?
Are any of the other gears not working correctly?

It is a 3.0L V6. Don't know what the transmission model code is. Where would I find it? What letters or numbers would the code start with? All the forward gears work normally.

Tom Walsh
The engine capacity indicates the trans model is 4R44E.

As no diagnostic codes are present, the problem is most likely to be mechanical.

No Reverse Gears
Check the following: 1. Fluid level,
2. Shift linkage,
3. Low line control pressure,
4. Filter assembly (plugged),
5. Valve body (sticking valves),
6. Incorrectly tightened valve body bolts (cross-leaks),
7. Low-reverse servo (piston seal leaking),
8. Direct and low-reverse clutch/band assemblies.