TRANSMISSION FLUID PUMP NOT PUMPING

1998 Ford Ranger

1998 Ford Ranger 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic

I recently replaced my engine. We pulled the engine and transmission out together as it was easier then dropping the transmission from underneath the truck. We replaced the fluid and filter. We put everything back together and the engine fired right up but when I shifted it into gear it didn't go anywhere and the rpm's stayed the same. To determine if the transmission fluid pump was pumping we disconnected one of the lines into the radiator expecting to see fluid squirt out when the engine was running. It did not. I've heard that there might be a special way to prime the pump. Is that true? How do I fix this?
Jonathanfix

Could it be electrical? The computer codes are indicating that there's a problem with the air intake flow sensor (the wire harness on the new engine didn't have a connection for this sensor) and another code indicating something else that I don't quite remember. There's solenoids in the transmission, right?

Jonathanfix
Its possible, would be nice to know the other code. If the converter fell out a little during the swap it may not be driving the pump.I personally have never heard of or had a trans pump " lose its prime"

Jack42
There was a slight difference in the wiring harness. It did not have a connector for a sensor on the air intake. Therefore one of the codes is for the " intake oxygen temperature sensor". The other one is for " cam sensor bank 1". That one doesn't sound to good.

Jonathanfix
You need to use the original wiring harness first. Neither one of those codes will keep the trans from working

Jack42
Why do I have to use the original harness? What does the cam code mean?

Jonathanfix
Because that is the harness that matches the vehicle and the computer in it. That is why the harness on the other engine doesnt match up the same. Do you have the exacxt " P" number for the cam code so I can look it up. Is this a OHC or OHV engine? I have never seen a cam sensor bank 1 code before

Jack42
The exact error codes are: 1) P0340
2) P0113

Jonathanfix
Did you swap the wiring harness back to the original one yet?
Sorry, my bad need to know if it a 3.0 or a 4.0

Jack42
I have not swapped the harness yet. I will probably get it done this weekend. It's a 4.0L V6 XLT 4x4 1998.

Jonathanfix
P0113- Temp sensor (IAT, ECT) this could be the connector you dont have aspot for ontheintake (IAT Intake Air Temp) is the coolant sensor plugged in?

P0340- CMP Sensor. Camshaft position sensor. Is this plugged in?

I suggest going back to old harness, and being sure everything is plugged in before trying to diagnose these issues

Jack42
Page 1 of 5