FORD RANGER DOOR PROBLEM

1998 Ford Ranger

1998 Ford Ranger 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 51000 miles

I HAVE HAD THIS TRUCK FOR 4 YRS AND DIDN'T EVEN KNOW IT HAD AN ANTI THEFT SYSTEM. I CHANGED THE BATTERY AND NOW THE ALARM GOES OFF AND IT WON'T START. I DISABLED THE HORN I HAVE POWER BUT NO START
Dec17jj

DESCRIPTION
The anti-theft system is designed to prevent unauthorized entry into the passenger or engine compartment. When triggered, the system will provide audible and visual alarms. The horn will sound and parking lights and alarm indicator will flash. In addition, the starter system will be disabled, preventing the vehicle from being started until the alarm system has been deactivated.
The system is controlled by a Remote Anti-Theft Personality (RAP) module. Whenever the system is armed, unauthorized entry will be detected by switches located in each door, a hood switch, or the ignition key lock cylinder sensor. A THEFT indicator light is located on the instrument panel.
OPERATION Arming System
There are 2 ways to arm the system: Press remote entry transmitter LOCK button to lock doors.
Open a door, then press power door lock button to lock doors.
The system will arm about 30 seconds after all doors are closed. The THEFT warning light will glow steadily until the system is armed, then flash quickly every 2 seconds until the system is triggered or disarmed.
Disarming System
There are 4 ways to disarm the system: Unlock doors by pressing remote entry transmitter UNLOCK button once.
Unlock any door with key.
Turn ignition switch to ACC or ON position.
Press remote entry transmitter PANIC button while the alarm is sounding.
Triggering System
Alarm will be triggered whenever any of the following actions occur while the system is armed: Any door is opened without using key or remote entry transmitter.
Hood is opened.
Ignition switch is tampered with.
PANIC button on remote entry transmitter is pressed.
Tampering with ignition switch will trigger alarm even if system is disarmed. Within 2-3 minutes of alarm triggering, horns and lights will shut off automatically. The system will then reset to an armed state and will trigger again if another intrusion occurs. The starting system will remain disabled until the system is disarmed.
SERVICE PROCEDURES
REMOTE TRANSMITTER REPROGRAMMING
To reprogram all transmitters, cycle ignition switch from OFF to ON position 8 times within 10 seconds. After doors lock and unlock, press any button on all remote transmitters (up to limit of 4). Once completed, turn ignition switch to OFF position. All transmitters must be reprogrammed at the same time.
SELF-DIAGNOSTIC SYSTEM
SELF-DIAGNOSTICS
The Anti-Theft System (ATS) utilizes a self-diagnostic system which stores a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) in the Remote Anti-Theft Personality (RAP) module if a problem exists in the ATS. DTCs may be retrieved from RAP module using a scan tool and Data Link Connector (DLC) for diagnosis of ATS. Before performing system tests, a preliminary procedure should be performed. See PRELIMINARY PROCEDURE.

Dave H