TEMPERATURE CONTROL

1997 Ford Ranger

Heater problem
1997 Ford Ranger 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 131000 miles

1997 Ford Ranger. My temperature adjustment control does not work. When I use the heater, it only goes full on or full off. My A/C dos not work in the A/C mode, only on MAX A/C and also like the heater, it only operates on full on or full off. I took it to a ford dealer and they said $550 to fix temp blender motor and if there was a crack in the housing, it might cost an additional $1100! So are they on the right track or is it something more simple that I can replace myself like the reostat behind the temp control knob in the middle of the control panel? If it is that expensive or complicated a fix, I will live with on/off for both A/C and heater and vary by adjusting fan speed only! Thank you.
Dutch1685

If you can control the temp from hot to cold then the blend door is OK
if its the fan speed that work only on full MAX
then you need a blower motor speed resister

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/99387_Graphic_9.jpg

BMRFIXIT
My fan works on all speeds, wether on MAX A/C or HEAT. I cannot control the temp in heat or in A/C via the thermostat knob.

Dutch1685
Very common is what you see in the picture above door actuator no good

BMRFIXIT