ODOMETER PROBLEM

1996 Ford Ranger

1996 Ford Ranger 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual

I have a 1996 Ford Ranger with an odometer problem. I replaced the instrument cluster and it worked briefly and then quit once again. I went to a local AutoZone to see if there was perhaps a sensor that was the problem, They told me it used a cable, but when I replaced the cluster there was no attachment for a cable that I was aware of. The speedometer works just fine, at this point I am stumped here. Any ideas? Any help would be appreciated. I did notice that in an earlier post about having to drop the fuel tank to replace the pump, way to much trouble. Simply take the 4 or 6 hex bolts out of the bed and get a friend to help lift the bed off the frame and there she is, easy to get to. I have had to do it this. The bed is relatively light but kinda bulky.
Galaxyhunter

Hi galaxyhunter,

Thank you for the donation.

The speedometer and odometer uses the same signal input from the speed sensor and your symptoms description indicates a faulty gauge. Did you replace with a new or used meter cluster?

The data I have shows the speed sensor is electrical.

Doesn't removing the bed involves disconnecting wire harness etc?

I replaced the cluster with a used one from a salvage yard. Can you even get a new one anymore for a 1996 model? I figured it was a sensor rather than a cable. As far as the bed is concerned, yes there is a harness to disconnect but is very easy to do. I dreaded dropping the fuel tank so I took the bed off instead.

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it.

Galaxyhunter
Since it is a used meter, I believe you can get a replacement as the purchased one seems faulty as well.

New meters should be available at the dealer but it is not going to be cheap.

So a great job done on the fuel pump replacement. Cheers.

Thanks for the advise, this is a good place for info you need. I will check into new instrument cluster.

Take Care!

Galaxyhunter