NO SPARK

1989 Ford Ranger

1989 Ford Ranger 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Manual 129566 miles

I have an 1989 ford ranger XLT with a 2.9l Engine,
I bought it with a protential blown head. There was water in the oil. First I yanked the intake manafold off and replaced the gasket and put everything back together and it started. I let it run for about 5 min only to find that steam was comming out the exhaust pipe. I later tore it all down to the heads. They needed to be shaved.

I have replaced everything back on the engine and now it wont spark. I am at my wits end. I made sure the disribitor was pointing to one on the compression cycle. Points at TDC. I replaced the coil, the TFI (Later found this to be bad). The pick up in the disribitor got replaced yesterday. There is fuel pressure and the inerit switch is ok. There is power to the coil. (11.95 volts battery at 12.02). I even placed an ohm meter at the crankshaft sensor and when it goes around the meter jumps. I cleaned the only two grounds I could find on the motor. Oh yeah. When I pull the SPOUT connector I get spark when I try to start it but it wont start with or without the SPOUT in place. I have great compression. If you guys can help me out I would be so greatful.

help in montana
Shawnski007

If the engine has no spark, check for voltage at the coil positive terminal when the ignition key is on.

If there is voltage, the problem is on the trigger side of the coil (pickup, crank sensor, ignition module or primary wiring circuit).

If there is NO voltage at the coil, the problem is on the supply side (the ignition switch or ignition wiring circuit).

If the coil has voltage, the problem may be a bad high voltage output wire from the coil to the distributor, hairline cracks in the coil output tower, or cracks or carbon tracks inside the distributor cap or on the rotor.

Measure the resistance of the CPS

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_ignition_system_1.jpg

Ok, apparently you didnt read anything about my problem. You basically asked questions I already answered for you.

I havent found the problem yet. The only thing new I found is when I put a code reader on the engine it gave me a code 95. The chilton manual says its a code for only a car. But the book that came with the code reader says its a secondary fuel fault. However I have excellent fuel pressure at the injectors. I guess I need to investigate this code 95 more and see if it isnt shuting off the ignition as a safty procation

thanks for your picture. It was very clear and to the point.

Shawnski007
Your problem is No Spark.

Obviously, You didn't comprehend what I was attempting to do.

95 Fuel pump secondary circuit failure. Your DTC's are OBD1 its not a 96 and Up. Better check it.

OBD1 code 95 has nothing to do with No spark

A 2.9L 6cyl has no CPS but a 2.3L 4cyl does What you have is a distributor system-its not a DIS. BTW you don't check the crankshaft positioning sensor that way. Either you check its resistances or the AC signal on it.

Ok, apparently you didnt read anything about my problem. You basically asked questions I already answered for you. My job is to ask a lot questions in order for me to give a definate answer. Remember you got the vehicle, I don't

Good Luck