DISC BRAKE RESISTANCE

1983 Ford Ranger

Brakes problem
1983 Ford Ranger V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 60,000 miles

My disc brakes always have too much static resistance.
There is always enough in front wheeels to make them very hard to spin by hand. If you bleed pressure off the wheels free up. What could cause
this prssure to make all this resistance. Calipers are old as truck, 83 model. Is there anything that could not let the piston release tension on rotor. Proportioning valve, old rubber on piston I don't know. Help!
Paddy_70

It could be a few things. First, the pistons may be getting gulded in the caliper and not releasing properly, but you mentioned when you opened the bleeder, they release, so they should be ok. Next are the caliper slides. Make sure they are clean and lubericated so they can move freely. If they are, then I would try replacing the rubber brake hoses connected to the caliper. I have seen situations where the inside of the hose has deteriated and allowed fluid to go one way and not the other.

Let me know if any of this helps. Also, keep in mind that it is normal to have a drag on the wheels when turning. If you spin the tire, you should get at least one revolution out of it.