STUCK IN PARK

Ford Other

I have a 1997 Mercury Mountaineer with 130,000 miles on it. It runs like a champ, however it won't come out of park. I think it could be a security system problem? It seems if you get the right combination of tricks it will come out. Anyone know what this is? The security system was just a guess I really have no idea.
Thanks!
MairH70

My 98 f150 requires a foot on the brake to go into gear. Their is a solenoid that controls this. I do believe it is run off the brake light switch. Check it's fuse, and the brake light switch itself.

Good luck and let is know. : )

Peppermrj
There is a lock pin that keeps the shift lever in place and it rus off the brake light switch at the brake pettal.
If the brake lights work it meens your switch is working if so you need to check the servo controled locking pin to be sure it isn't burned out or at least going out.
But if your brake lights don't work check the switch and fuses

Davidcloop
I had a similar problem today. After I started the 99 E150 with 80K miles, the shift lever was stuck in park. I found that it would shift with the key in the off position, not locked. I put it in nutral, started it then shifted in to drive. I also found that if I removed the fuse to the shift interlock it would again shift. By the way the cruse control is on the same fuse and it stoped working at the same time.

Davewillems