OVERHEATING

Ford Other

I have a 1997 Lincoln Continental that has 119,000 miles. It is overheating for no obvious reason. I have taken it to a shop who has driven it all day long (long enough to use a whole tank of gas) and never overheated once. But as soon as I got it back home there was coolant pouring out of the coolant resivour and leaking everywhere. I replaced the radiator cap thinking it was that, but it is still doing it. It passed a pressure test, and the belt is fine. I can tell though that the power steering pump is going out. There are times when I could not turn the wheel at all, and others when it turns just fine. Any help would be great.

Jamierichelle

Waterpump leak flinging coolant around would cause the lack of power sterring assist.

What ever it is will get worse and easier to find. Is there a lot of water coming out the tailpipe?

Has the thermostat been replaced?

Good luck and hope this helps. Let us know. : )

Peppermrj
When the coolant comes out there is a lot of it. Someone at my job said it could be my catalytic converter are plugged up causung it to overheat, and the cooland is coming out due to pressure. Could this be true? We do smell exhaust when the car is on.

Jamierichelle
Sounds like it is boiling out.

The cat should not have anything to do with it.

Has the thermostat been replaced?

Test the clutch fan. Does it have a belt driven fan or is it an electric cooling fan?

Post back. : )

Peppermrj
The thermostat has been replaced once before the overheating and then once after when we had it looked at. The shop cant figure out why it is doing this. Go figure. The fan sensor was bad and we had it replaced as well. But it continues to overheat.

Jamierichelle