HOW CAN I CHECK A/C COMPRESSOR CLUTCH

Ford Other

I'm having a/c problems. No power to the compressor clutch. Is there a way to check the clutch operation by jumping power to it?

Jim
Mcknight77

Yes more info is needed because some vehicles the computer cuts power to the compressor for safety reasons if the refrigerant level is gets low therefore the computer would need to be reset.

Aseteq
It's an 88 Mustang, 5.0, T-5, 197K miles.

Mcknight77
Fuse is good. I'll check for power at the accumulator tonight. Thanks.

Mcknight77
OK, with a/c on and engine running there is power to the switch on the accumulator. I jumped across the plug and compressor clutch engaged. Ran it this way for a few minutes, but it did not cool.

When it first stopped cooling, I had the freon checked and the tech told me it was full and it was an electrical problem.

Now I'm not so sure.

What else should I check?

Jim

Mcknight77
I converted to R134a. I drained system. Changed the low side connector and put in three 12 oz cans of freon. A/C now cools and clutch engages. But. Only if I have the switch on the accumulator jumpered.

Without the jumper, the clutch never engages, and of course, it doesn't cool.

What next?

Jim

Mcknight77
You're the man!

That switch fixed it. Thanks.

Mcknight77