SURGING

2000 Ford Focus

I drive a 2000 Focus that just rolled over 70,000 miles. I just took it in for maintenance a month or so ago, everything has been running great and suddenly, this morning the car surges/chugs as if I I were trying to accelerate with the car in too high a gear. It idles roughly and feels as if it about to choke, and when I accelerate not only does it surge as I described above, but the spedometer spikes also. My check engine light came on during my drive home from work today, and shortly before I pulled into my parking lot, the check engine light began flashing.

What is wrong! Electrical? Fuel?

Help!
Ariadne1225

Do you have access to a scan tool? If not, go to your local autoparts store, even if the light is off, and have them scan it for you, most do it for free. Make sure you get the code numbers from them and post them back here. Someone should be able to help you, do not buy any parts yet no matter what they tell or try to sell you. Someone here can get you in the right direction.

TaurusWheel
Update on the car: Today the volume on the radio increased and decreased when the spedometer spiked up and down. I'm taking it in to Autozone today so it can be scanned.

Any ideas?

Ariadne1225
Some radios automatically change volume at higher speeds so you can hear them better when there is more noise.

CraigFL