CLUTCH (AREA) NOISE

1999 Ford F-350

1999 Ford F-350 V8 Two Wheel Drive Manual 94000 miles

Recently bought this 7.3 deisel f350 truck with a 6-spd manual transmission. The cluch and trans appear
to function properly. When the truck is running at highway speed and it gets to a non-load point there is a grinding type of noise from the clutch area. It's not slipping or jerking and when I put the engine back under load it stops. Sometimes when starting off without much load (pulling off slowly) the same noise is heard in 1st gear and stops when I shift to 2nd. Everything is functioning normal, just this noise.
I thought that it could be the duel mass flywheel, but I was told that the 6 spd doesn't have a duel mass flywheel. I don't have a problem changing the clutch assembly, I just want to know if that's the problem. Thanks in advance.
588dart

Hi 588dart, The noise you are hearing could be your pilot bearing going bad. I've definitly seen those go bad plenty. It could also be the mainshaft bearing, Since load changes it. It kinda sounds like you may need to take it apart to see whats going on. Those 6 spds are pretty noisy to begin with.

2CarPros Linsey