TRUCK WONT HOT START

Ford F-150

1987 F-150 XLT Lariat 4x4
if I turn my truck off after driving it any distance I wont be able to start it back up for up to an hour. It starts up fine after the wait. I just changed the spark plugs, timing belt, air filter, thermostat, and just bought a fuel filter. Can anyone tell me why my truck is doing this?
Hobbsw

Please provide the engine and mileage.

Losone
The truck has the 5.0L 302 V8 and it has 280,000. It runs great and drives amazing, the only problem is the starting. I have a feeling its something electrical, but I dont know what to check.

Hobbsw
I don't think it is electrical. I think you have a tired engine with weak compression rings. When the engine gets hot you loose compression to the point it won't fire. (Around 75-80 lbs)

Remove all the plugs on a cold engine. Do a dry compression test and record the reading. Do a wet compression test (a tablespoon of oil in each cyl.)

The difference on a good engine should be no more than 15-20 pounds onn each cyl.

I expect your will read about 105-110 dry and about 150-160 wet. That is proof it needs rings. Good luck

Losone