F150 4X4

1915 Ford F-150

I have a 97 f15o 4x4 manual shift. The 4 wheel drive will engage when it is cold (both high and low) but within 10 minute it will not. I have replaced the transfer case and it hasn't helped the problem. If someone out there has a suggestion it would be greatly appreciated.3 mechanics so far have not been able to solve the proble.

thanks mike.
Mdespins

When you say manual shift are you meaning the transmission is a 5 speed manual or the trasfer case is manual shift. And also do you have automatic lock outs? Answer these questions for me and I can posibly fix your problem.(NOS) 8)

NOS
It is an automatic transmission and is to go into wheel on the fly. It will, up to about 10 minutes into a drive, and then it stops. That is both high and low 4 wheel. Hope this helps. It is really a puzzle as to why is stops working after this time. It is a 97 3 door crew cab 4x4, automatic 8cyl.

Mdespins
The transfer case is a shift on the floor. Sorry, I missed that on the first reply

Mdespins
The only thing I can think of right off had is the front lockeouts are kicking out which unlockes the front wheels. I'am asumeing they are automatic lockouts. The best recomandation I can give is get a set of milemarker lockouts. Granted you'll have to get out of the truck and lock the fronts in, but if your going four wheeling you want that stuff to work. Thoes automatic lockouts are ok, I can tell ya you'll be stuck more than your not there not very dependable. But they will get you stuck every time some times one will work and then both and then maybe. Onece ayear the other's have to be taken off cleaned and new light film of grease added and you good to go if your transfercase is staying locked in then it has to be your lockouts hanging up.(NOS) 8)

NOS
Thanks for your help we will check it out.I'll keep this up and let you know how it goes.

Mike

Mdespins