F150 SUDDEN ROUGH IDLE

2004 Ford F-150

Shakes or Wobbles problem
2004 Ford F150 V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 95K miles

I have a 26 mile commute to work daily, as I neared my destination, my truck began to sound like a deisel, shaking and shuddering, with a squealing from under the hood, but it never fully stalled. I made it to a parking space where I let it sit for at least 2 hrs. Checked the oil and water (both fine) started the truck, (started fine) but the squealing was there immediatley followed by the rough idle, (ac off). I had it towed home for fear of possible damage to the engine.
The next day I started it, with no squealing, just the idle going up and down, and nowhere near as rough as it was, but I did not let it get hot like the drive to work would have.

I figure the squealing could be a pulley possibly seizing up, but wasn't sure if that would cause such a crazy idle.
I purchased a code reader that did not work, so I returned it. I plan on getting another but I have to wait for a payday.
I bought this truck new, serviced regularly, and this is the first real problem I have ever had.

Thanks in adviace for any help and a truely fantastic site.
Russ
Xxhoppxx

Engine running rough or misfiring can be cause by the following: 1. Defective spark plug
2. Inadequate spark/coil, defective spark plug wire.
3. Lack of compression
4. False air leakage.
5. Faulty fuel injectors.
6. Insufficient fuel pressure.
7. Contaminated fuel.
8. EGR valve that is leaking.
9. Oxygen sensors.
10. Throttle position sensor.
11. Idle air control valve.