F150 OXYGEN SENSORS

2004 Ford F-150

2004 Ford F150 V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 52000 miles

I have a 2004 F150 with 52000 miles and just recently the engine light came on, I took it to a shop and had them hook it up to a computer and it said it was my oxygen sensors. I decided to take it to the shop, before I could get it there the light came off. I decided to not ake it to the shop but a month or so later it came back on. I made a appointment with Ford which I had to wait a month for, before the time of the appointment it came back off again. Finally the day came I went to my appointment and of course waited 5 hours just for them to tell me that it was my Thermostat stuck open. I told them I had it looked prior to my appointment and the computer said it was my O2 sensors. I'm not completely dumb when it comes to working on vehicles but I've never heard of a Thermostat stuck open could cause a vehicle to run rich which would make the computer put out a code for the o2 sensors. Just the other day after they had replaced the Thermostat the light came back on again for the same o2 sensors?&Gt? Is it possible for a vehicle to run rich because of a Thermostat stuck open?
Kenneth931

Yes it is totally possible as the truck will run cooler and as if it was cold and would give the engine extra fuel in order to compensate. So when you hook it up to a scanner again dont take there word for what is wrong. Get the code itself then have them clear it and get the code to me or one of us and we can look it up and tell you what that code means and what may be wrong. Do you remember what the code was?

Racefan966
The code is P0420. I've looked it up and read about this code. My truck only has 52000 miles and the cat is going bad already? That is just ridiculous. I do have a extended warranty but i'm sure it doesn't cover cats, however. Does anyone know if it should still be covered through ford since it has so little miles on it? I have a appointment for my truck here in a couple days, but it's not at Ford cause I waited so long there just to get a Thermostat changed. I'm also going on a 3000 mile drive here in a couple weeks, I was told that it just might need to be driven for a long while since maybe the cat isn't getting hot enough, but I don't want to risk breaking down on the road. Would it hurt my truck if the cat is doing what it is doing and I still drive the mileage?

Kenneth931