WHINING NOISE FROM REAR AXLE IN EXP

2004 Ford Explorer

Drive Train Axles Bearings problem
2004 Ford Explorer 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 68000 miles

My explorer has started to make an annoying whining noise from the rear axle. I took it to Ford and they replaced the hub and bearings but the noise sounds even worse now. Do not know if it is my differential or something else that they did not fix. I am going to take it back in to find out. My question is if the differential is bad or going bad, can I get by for a few months with just the noise and be okay or is it something that can not wait and must be replaced now?
Gandynole

Hi: Are there any certain conditions that make the noise worse? Is it there all the time or only at certain times? Is it worse with the throttle on or off? Was the pinion bearing checked? Finally, (and don't get mad), are you sure the sound is from the differential and not the transmission?

The whining noise is there all the time. You can barely hear it during times of acceleration or on the highway going 70 mph. In city driving, you can hear it well and when you decelerate and come to a stop, the noise stops. The rear pinion seal was leaking about 6 months ago and I had it replaced. I don't know if it is the differential or not. I am only going on the TSB ford has on it plus other owners issues with the same problem. I plan to take it back to Ford to get a true estimate of what is wrong. I would like to know what the issue is and can I get by. I hope it is not the transmission but I have no idea of the warning signs of a transmission starting to go bad. Last week, Ford did not say anything is wrong with the transmission but I can only go on their word.

Gandynole
Chances are the trans is fine. I only asked because sometimes it is hard to tell where the noise is actually coming from. If they replaced the pinion seal, there is a bearing behind it that can go bad and cause what you are hearing. I would suggest having them check that and let me know what you find.

Also, if you have the TSB number, I would like to look it up and see what is listed under it. That could help.

The TSB is 05-23-3 - Rear axle noise repair for 2002-2005 Ford Explorers. That what I am thinking this noise is coming from. Last week when I took it in, they replaced the rear hub and bearings sublet bearing press - the exact wording from my service ticket so they may have looked at the bearing you are refering too. The noise seems to get louder during acceleration so I mainly want Ford to tell me what is wrong and what it will exactly take to clear up the noise.

Gandynole
I looked up the TSB. They did what was required, but it sounds like they didn't properly adjust the bearing once installed. That is why the noise is louder now. Take it back and tell them they need to recheck their work.

Let me know what you find.