LOUD CLUNK FROM REAR AREA

1996 Ford Explorer

1996 Ford Explorer 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 195, 00 miles

I have a loud clunk from the rear vehicle when slowing down to stop. The noise happens when the transmission downshifts into 2nd gear. The noise did not happen before I had a rebuilt transmission installed last month. Transmission guy said he replac a few parts, then put in a second transmission. Now sometimes the noise occurs, and sometimes it doesnt. When driving with no clunk, sometimes the " OD OFF" light begins to flash on the dash. No difference if the OD is on or off. When the OD OFF light begins to flash, the clunk always begins to happen. No howling or other noises noted. When I shift into R, then D, I get a much quieter clunk. When car parked(transmission in P), there is noticable play in the driveshaft, maybe 1/8 turn. Rebuilt transmission is still under warranty, but seems that two different transmissions would do the same(almost) thing, U joints seem tight. HELP please
Okiezeke

IF the noise wasn't there, fair chance that points to the tranny.

IS it possible for 2 trannys too be bad the same way.U betcha.

Components often where out in the same fashion, if this commonality was unknown and overlooked by the rebuilder, then you get two successive failures.

I would calmly return and ask if they could look over their work and explain how the symptoms appeared that were not there previously.

Any reasonable shop should do this. This is not to say that there may be a problem in the rear differential that was not previously noticed and a separate problem with the O/D light.