TIGHT STEERING

2003 Ford Expedition

Steering problem
2003 Ford Expedition V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic

I am in desparate need of figuring out what the deal is. My in-laws have this Expedition that for the most part is a good vehicle. There is a problem with the steering as in when you turn the wheel, it is very difficult to do so. When the vehicle is cold, it is extremely hard to turn BUT as vehicle warms up the steering seems to get a little easier. I understand that this rack and pinion is NOT a reciprocating ball unit. I am at my wits end trying to figure out what the problem is. I have NOT checked pressures at the rack. The reservoir is full of fluid. The column appears to be free and no noises are present anywhere. PLEASE HELP !
Rytad4

Is it a high mileage vehicle? Pressure testing the pump is a good first step. The actuator on the rack may be stuck, but you need to scan for codes,
DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING POWER STEERING Refer to STEERING SYSTEM-GENERAL INFORMATION. Navigator vehicles are equipped with Variable Assist Power Steering (VAPS). The VAPS system is equipped with an actuator that is located on the steering gear. As the vehicle speed increases, the solenoid changes the level of assist to the steering system, increasing the amount of torque required to turn the steering wheel. The VAPS control strategy is integrated into the air suspension module. Steering Gear Identification The steering gear is stamped with a manufacturer's code. The following is an example:  SFRA A 102501 1142 The code is interpreted as follows:  SFRA-Model code  A 102501 1142-Build code - A - Test stand - 10 - Month - 25 - Day - 01 - Year - 1142 - Time Page 1 of 1 POWER STEERING -2003 Ford Expedition 3/20/2009

Merlin2021