TRANSMISSION LEAK

2001 Ford Expedition

2001 Ford Expedition V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 12000 miles

My expedition has leaked its transmission fluid out while driving. It is parked at some hotel. My girlfriend was driving it, and she said that it wouldn't go when she engaged it into drive. My question is: where would the transmission fluid be leaking from and how much damage was done to the transmission? Would I be able to just repair the leak and fill the transmission back up and it work? She didn't notice any noises or grinding, just smoke from the fluid leaking onto the exhaust.
Logan.bryon

IT is really hard to tell if it will be ok. CHances are it will, but there is no way to tell until you repair the leak and refill it. Have you been able to tell where the leak was coming from? CHeck the trans pan, cooling lines, and check if it appears to be coming from the inspection plate between the engine and trans. Also, I believe there is actually a drain plug on the pan. Make sure it is tight.

Let me know what you find.