INSTUMENT PANEL

2001 Ford Expedition

2001 Ford Expedition V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 160000 miles

While driving down the road the battery light was on, my wife said, and then all the instruments in the cluster plus the radio stoped working and registered as if the engine was off but was still running and driving. The Odometer is digital and turns on and off speraticly as well.
Ajunlimited

Try the self test on the cluster, here's how, post any codes you get, and I will look them up. This usually turns out to be a bad wire on the connectors on the cluster. Using Hybrid Electronic Cluster

Page 1 of 1
To enter Hybrid Electronic Cluster (HEC) self-diagnostics, press instrument cluster SELECT/RESET button before turning ignition switch to RUN position. Within 5-8 seconds, odometer will display " tESt". SELECT/RESET button must be released within 3 seconds of odometer displaying " tESt" then, repeatedly press SELECT/RESET button through odometer displays until " dtc" is displayed. When odometer displays " dtc", press SELECT/RESET button again and any continuous diagnostic trouble codes will be displayed before odometer advances to next display. Other HEC diagnostic modes can be entered when self-diagnostic function is entered. See HYBRID ELECTRONIC CLUSTER SELF-DIAGNOSTIC MODES table.

Merlin2021
It appears that the altenator has gone bad and possibly the batterie to. After replacing these items the truck is running great agian. There is still the problem with the Odometer and tripodometer going on and off speratically but your diagnostic's suggestion would probably locate this problem. Thanks for the quick response I will definatly recomend this site to people.

Ajunlimited
Ok Thanks.

Merlin2021