CHECK CHARGING SYSTEM LIGHT

Ford Expedition

Somebody else asked this question but I did not see any response so I thought I would repeat the question since I am having the same problem. I have 2003 Ford Expedition with aprox 66,000 miles. About 2 weeks ago, check charging system warning started displaying and battery light coming on and off. Had my battery and alternator checked at a local auto store - on their recommendation changed both as well as the belt. In spite of above changes, the battery light and warning is continuously on now. If I don't have to, I do not want to take it ito the dealership for costly " diagnostic tests" and repairs. Does anybody know what may be causing this problem? Any and all recommendations are appreciiated.
Bd1133

If all the connections are properly tight and clean-I will have the computer check out-it controls the alternator regulator to maintain the voltage output of the alternator.

If all the connections are properly tight and clean-I will have the computer check out-it controls the alternator regulator to maintain the voltage output of the alternator.[/Quote: 11598d1d81]

bd1133 - I also have an 03 Expedition with about 69k miles, and same exact thing happened: First check charging system & battery light, if you drove for a bit, it would go out.

I replaced my battery, but it didn't fix. I noticed that when " Check Charging System" was on, I'd have 12.1 volts, when it would go out, 13.9. While it sounds like an alternator problem, I thought it was weird that it could basically work, and then not work.

I have been driving the car without issue - till last night. While driving, the car just completely stalled. Suddenly, I had the " Check Charging System", and battery light on. I pulled over, turned key, and the engine cranked over fast, and wasnt starting. If I turned the key off, removed it, replaced it, and restarted, no problem. I limped home doing this three different times. Now the battery light is on solid. Finally, though, I have a service engine soon light, so I should be able to get some trouble codes.

This sounds to me like a computer- or sensor-based problem. I'm gonna hook up my code reader later today and see what I find.

In the mean time, did you get any progress with yours?

Thanks all!

Antnee3
I won't be surprise if the code says battery voltage correction. Try testing the Ig. Switch sounds like its acting funny if you have to do that.

I have a 2003 Expedition doing the same exact thing. I noticed it did it more so when the ac or heat was running like something was drawing the power down or something. Now it is doing it all the time mainly when im accelerating. I to have had my truck not want to start, I had to take the key out and then reinsert it too in order to get it to start a couple of times now. Anyone. Please have an answer for me!

DHCHJHPH
From your description and based on a similar problem I had with my 2004 Expedition, I would suspect an intermittent partial short to ground. Check the wiring harness that runs near the air conditioning compressor. More it around and see it that affects the problem.

Pcava57