WHEN I START MY TRUCK IN THE MORNING AFTR IT HAS BEEN SITTING FOR 7-9 HOURS IT IDLES REALLY HIGH AND DROPS DOWN THRN THE BATTERY LIGHT FLASHES.

2004 Ford Expedition

Press the gas the battery light goes off but the truck runs rough as if it is out of gas. Turn off truck and turn back on again idles really high then drops. No engine light on just battery light when it I press on gas light turns off
Melvic

We need to start by doing a voltage test do you have a multimeter to do some testing?Sounds like you could just have a bad alternator.

Already had the test. Battery alt and starter passed

Melvic
The battery light is on when at idle and its running bad two things that point to a bad alternator. If it was just the battery light on I would say may just a fault in the battery light circuit. But with the other symptoms I really want to know at idle what the voltage reads at the battery when the battery light is on.

When started it idles between the 1 and 0. And battery light on. If I give it gas light turns off. If I don't give gas truck dies

Melvic
I tool it to autozone for testing and he said the alternator passed

Melvic
Also he said he could be a vacuum leak. Does that sound familiar. I just had to replace that last summer. Kind of getting the same symptoms but last summer the battery light didn't come on

Melvic
I dont see how a vacuum would cause the battery light to come on?The first thing I would do is what I told you to do with the voltage reading. That is what I need you to do and give me the results?I have been working on cars for a long time now so when I ask you do something I need you do it. Because I cant do it for you so please let me help you and make it easy as possible.

Ok no problem. I appreciate Your help. I am single mom so I have to do it myself. I am not understanding what you mean by what the voltage reads. Do I need to look at the battery when I start the truck

Melvic
To read the voltage you will need a multimeter/volt meter to read the voltage. You dont know anyone that knows how to use a volt meter?

Yes I will ask. It may be an hour or so beforei can give you a answer

Melvic
Page 1 of 2