GRINDING

2001 Ford Expedition

Noises problem
2001 Ford Expedition 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 133000 miles

After coming to a complete stop, if I am making a right or left turn when I initially press on the gas there is a grinding or rubbing noise. It seems to be coming from the front end of the car but not 100% on that. We had repairs done on the rear differential a few months ago and had to take it back to the repair shop because something was not done correctly on the repair and differential fluid was leaking from the truck. I mentioned the grinding or rubbing noise at that time but they claimed that they didn't hear it. Can you advise if the work that was done may have anything to do with this issue and if it didn't, can you advise what may be causing it? I would like to have some idea of the problem before I return to the shop so that I don't get any type of run-around from them. Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Rprince

A couple of possibilities, first it could be a wheel bearing and when you turn it grinds. Second it could be the brake pads, they mostly make a noise when they are low and usually when braking. I don't think it has anything to do with the rear differental. See if you can find out where it is comming from. If they put the car on a lift and say the left wheel is making the noise, have them check the other side. I don't know why but have found out that a majority of times when you hear bearing noise on one side have found out the problem is on the other side. It is not always the case but something to look for.

M_H_RITZEL
Thanks so much for the advice. All I can say is that it had better not be the brake pads because they replaced those at the same time that they did the rear differential work. ; -) Appreciate your help!

Rprince
Jack up the front and see if you can wiggle the front wheels back and forth. If the wheel has play in it then I would look at the wheel bearings.

M_H_RITZEL