COOLING FAN

Ford Escort

I have a 1996 Ford Escort, 1.9l engine. NO A/C. Once the car is started the cooling fan comes on and stays on constantly until the engine is shut off. It does not come on when the key is turned on, only after the car is started. The engine is not overheating and runs within specs. The fan that is running constant, is the high side fan. I have quickly checked the relays and wiring (for corrosion) and can't find anything wrong at this time. I have noticed other Fords do the same thing. Could I have a faulty relay or is there something wrong with the ground system going through the computer?
Niuges16

Does the fan cicuit hook into a temp sensor? Or fan control sensor?

Merlin2021
Havbe no idea as I haven't looked at a schematic.

Niuges16
Most do! Even if the signal goes to the PCM. Try changing it.

Merlin2021
I think I will just hook up a remote switch as oppose to spending $$$$ on a computer. I did this with my monte carlo and had no problems.

Niuges16
Ok I did not realize you wanted to hack it!

Merlin2021
No hacking, doing what the dealer would do

Niuges16
I have NEVER seen a dealer install a switch to control a cooling fan. Then leave it in the hands of the driver to activate it. If customer forgets to turn it on, who buys the new head?

Merlin2021
A lot of the dealers here do this. They also just tie into the coolant sensor use it has a ground and that is what activates the fan.
You have to realise that when cars here in Ontario get high mileage and with the salt (rust) it is not worth spending $1000. Oo on parts when a quick and simple fix will work. It is easier to let the fan run constant.
What I am looking for is whether any other Ford owners have had this problem and what the fix was. I can not afford to try this and that until we find the problem. I would rather diagnose a problem then be a parts changer until the problem is cured.

Niuges16