ELECTRIC FAN NOT WORKING - REPLACED MANY P

1996 Ford Escort

Engine Cooling problem
1996 Ford Escort 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 139k miles 1.9L LX 4 door sedan

Hello, I have 1996 ford escort with 5 speed manual and A/C. The electric fan has stopped turning on. I have replaced the fan, both relays and the fuse. Still won't turn on. I was at a stop light one day with the A/C on and the car kind of stumbled and the A/C got warm, the A/C got cool again when I started driving but then my temp gauge went up high.

The car stays in the cool range as long as I'm in motion, but at a light or stop and go it gets warm. I don't use the A/C anymore.

Other than the fan, fuse and the two relays what else should I check that would keep the fan from turning on? Should I take it somewhere for specific test?
Brets96escort

Hello -

To better assist you is your model just the Escort, or the GT or LX. Also what is your engine size in liter.

Please go to Auto Zone (AZ) or O'Reilly's (OR) and for FREE they can pull the codes to the car. Most important: Once they check your codes, if they find something and you don't get it fixed and need to get back with us, please make sure you tell us exactly what the code was, number and all. Example, if the code was E0568 O2 Sensor bad. Then make sure you give us all of that. While there for FREE also they can bring their tester out and check your battery and alternator.

Thank you very much for the donation

Please let us know if what the final fix was for your car so we can better assist others. Thanks!

Find a car repair manual for your car repair questions.

ImpalaSS
It's a 1996 LX 4 door Sedan 1.9L 5speed manual with Air Conditiong.

Someone has suggested I replaced the 1 part I have not yet replaced - the temp sensor. I will try that next.

Brets96escort
Hello -

Thanks for the info.I too would change that at this point. However, you said you changed both relays.I show a high speed relay on front left fender apron and the low speed relay also on the left fender apron. There is a Engine Fuse, 15A in the instrument panel fuse panel and there is a 40A cooling fan fuse in the engine compartment fuse box. With another cooling fan power relay. Have you checked there too?

Next, I would still check the codes just in case.

Thank you very much for the donation

ImpalaSS
I have had some experience with the fan not working or constantly working and after checking the schematic for the cooling system it came down that the pcm or ecc was not sending a ground to turn on the relays after replacing the ecc or pcm problem solved. Most times the ecc will be working fine and just that ground for the fan is not working. Also I would replace the coolant temp sensor (the correct one any different will not work correctly) then the ecc which is located behind the radio area.

Lazygazer
Hello -

brets96escort - was just checking in with you to see how you are coming along. Thanks lazygazer for your info.

Thank you very much for the donation

ImpalaSS
Thanks for all your help. I ended up taking the car to a mechanic who tested all the wiring, etc from the fan back - he found no problems with the fan, relays or any of the connections - he diagnosed it as a bad computer. I tried to find another computer, pulled one out of a 1995 LX 5 Speed, but it didn't work for my 1996 car. He ended up wiring the fan to turn on with the key. Now it runs all the time but at least it's not getting hot in traffic. This car has constant problems even though it looks good with the sport package and alloy wheels. Another $180 repair bill, my next car will be a honda or toyota or subaru.

Brets96escort
You could check the junk yard for a computer, also the computer has to be specific to the type and year. If you r havin problems gettin one I could probably get one for you if you like. Also the direct wiring is not a good idea for electric fans are not made to be constantly on it will eventually fail if not addressed soon. Dont give up on it as yet it just takes time and honda and toyoa parts cost more than ford and also maintenence.(Just a friendly taught/advice)

Lazygazer
I have been to every junkyard in town. I do have a spare fan in the trunk that I can put on in case the current one goes out.

There is always something with this car not working right. The power drivers side seatbelt malfunctioned the other day, got grease all over my clothes on the way to work - looked on ebay for replacement for the drivers side - only one I can find would be about $100 with the shipping. Oh and the AC is not cooling now. It cooled on the way home from the shop Saturday, then yesterday turned it on and nothing but warm air. I just had that repaired 6 months ago. Not another dime into this thing after the seat belt, not one more dime.

Brets96escort
Hello -

Sorry you are having so much trouble with the car. That is extremely frustrating.

Thanks for keeping us posted on your results.

Thank you very much for the donation

ImpalaSS