REPLACE NON-TURBO TRANS WITH A TURBO TR

1991 Eagle 2000 GTX

1991 Eagle 2000 GTX 4 cyl All Wheel Drive Manual 238000 miles

I could not find a used transmission for this AWD vehicle which is the non-turbo version. I was told that the Turbo transmission would work as long as it is for the same 4G63 Mitsubishi engine.
I replaced the broken trans with a trans from a Turbo model of this same vehicle & year. After 210Km, the rear wheels have locked up and they turn about 1/4 turn before locking & being dragged, so the vehicle is not drive-able.
The mechanic says this is because the " ratio is different on the turbo trans and it is not sending the correct ratio of drive to the rear diff". Is this correct?
He suggests replacing the rear axle with an axle from a Turbo version, to match the transmission. He says this will solve my problem. Will it?

Any help or advice is much apprecited !

91GalAWD

If the gear ratios were off front to rear (rear diff to trans) it would think it would tear up the trans before the diff. If the rear diff is broken, it would be a good idea to replace it with a turbo version to match the drivetrain up again, so he is correct on that point. Just like smaller front/rear tires on a 4x4. Its ok til you engage the transfer case, then it wil damage it

Jack42